Denel Overberg Test Range - Africa's Premium Aerospace Test Facility
The Denel Overberg Test Range, a division of South Africa’s largest government-owned defence manufacturer Denel, is a multi-purpose, fully integrated aircraft and missile flight test facility located on the South-Eastern coast of the Western Cape between Arniston and Cape Infanta. The facility performs a variety of tests offering technical capabilities, flexibility, and logistical support to clients with mobile instrumentation systems that can be deployed to prepared sites.
Specialising in air, ground, and sea flight tests the facility’s real-time graphic display can be configured with specific parameters for ultimate mission control. Offering, simultaneous tracking, aerospace clients can test advanced guided and aviation systems (up to five flying objects at the same time), demonstrating their weapon’s capabilities and operational performance over a wide spectrum of flight profiles. Results supplied include trajectories and miss distances, telemetry recording, photographic documentation, and meteorological profiles.
South African clients include:
- Denel Dynamics (Tested weapons include the GBADS-Ground-Based Air Defence System, A-Darter air-to-air missile, Umbani/Al Tariq guided bomb, Ingwe and Mokopa anti-tank missiles, Raptor glide bombs, and the Umkhonto surface-to-air missile).
- Fuchs and Advanced Technologies and Engineering (Now Paramount Advanced Technologies).
- Rheinmetall Denel Munition
Foreign clients include:
- Aero Vodochody
- BAE Systems
- Diehl-BGT Defence (IRIS-T surface-to-air missile testing)
- Italian Air Force
- Luftwaffe – German Air Force (Tested Taurus air-to-ground missile)
- MBDA (Mistral surface-to-air missile testing and Storm Shadow air-launched long range strike missile testing)
- Republic of Singapore Air Force (Air defence exercises involving missiles)
- SAAB (KEPD-350 air-launched long range strike missile testing)
- Spanish Air Force
- ST Aerospace
- Tawazun Dynamics (Al-Tariq bomb)
- Thales UK (Starstreak surface-to-air missile testing)
- Turkish Navy (Live weapons firings of various missiles)
Ground Area: 70 km x 14 km (Total: 43 000 ha)
Flight Area: More than 240 km x 55 km, with no height limitation
Sea Area: Unlimited. 70 km x 30 km covered by electro-optical sensors.
The vast unrestricted test area boasts diverse terrain ranging from flat with dunes at the beaches in the west to a high rocky coastline in the east.
Suitable for low-level flying
Prepared air-to-ground target area (2000 x 4000 meters)
Location of office facilities, maintenance and storage areas, and main test operations control complex
Suitable for terrain-following trajectories
Impact area for longer-range weapons
For long-range tests, a base leg of 70 km along the coast is available. Longer distances can be covered by electromagnetic instrumentation systems (radars and telemetry stations) and/or deployments of instrumentation systems on existing remote sites outside the area of the test range.
TESTS THAT CAN BE PERFORMED AT DENEL OVERBERG TEST RANGE DURING DEVELOPMENT OR OPERATIONAL EVALUATION AND CERTIFICATION:
- Air to air tests
- Air to surface (and or sea) tests
- Surface to surface (land or sea) tests
- Surface to air (land or sea) tests
- Anti-tank tests (also from helicopter)
- Assistance with aircraft performance, carriage and release clearance
- Avionics evaluation and certification
- Optical Systems
- Telemetry Systems
- Radar Systems
- Test Execution Systems
- Communication Systems
TARGETS THAT CAN BE PROVIDED:
- High and low speed target drones
- Towed Targets
- Parachute Targets
- Heated Targets
- Convoy Targets
- Dry Impact Areas
- Specially Built Structures
Written by Sylvia Caravotas (Satovarac Consulting) for OIDA